Owning a gun means that you should store it with the utmost attention. Storing weapons properly offers a wide range of benefits, one of them being peace of mind for the owner. Having your firearm protected at all times will prevent theft and unauthorized use. In addition, it will also avoid damage to the costly equipment.
Keeping weapons secure is the responsibility of every gun owner. You have probably heard about security-related weapon accidents, which could have been prevented with proper cautionary measures. These aspects highlight the importance of having a gun safe. This particular type of safe is designed to keep your weapon safe and secure, therefore preventing theft and misuse.
Though, choosing the right safe might be a huge hassle. In this post, we share the most important aspects of selecting the right gun safe. Once you go through our complete guide, you will make the right choice.
Importance of having a top-quality safe
Gun owners shouldn’t rely on cheap safes just for the sake of having a safe. An unfortunate event in 2010 raised the question about gun safe security. The tragedy happened when a toddler died of gun wounds after reaching his father’s gun safe.
The investigation revealed a severe flaw in the safe’s design, resulting in a fatality. The lock didn’t work correctly if it was lightly turned to the right. Later, the investigators identified this flaw in other cheap models.
How to choose the right safe for your needs? In addition, we explain the things you need to know.
Gun Safe Types
There are many different safes on the market. Choosing the right one depends on how many weapons you have, their type, and whether you want to store other valuables.
This safe features a compact design, perfect for storing a handgun. The design resembles a briefcase, making this safe an excellent choice for those seeking a portable solution. Larger versions of the handgun safe contain a few compartments for storing multiple guns.
Car Gun Safe
The concept is similar to the handgun safe we already explained. However, the car safe is usually designed for a single gun. This compact safe will keep your gun safe while on the go.
For shotguns and rifles, opt for a special long-gun safe. The particular design is taller than a regular gun safe and can store more than one weapon, depending on the size.
Multi-use Gun Safes
You don’t have to buy separate safes to protect weapons and valuable keepsakes. The multi-use safes come with different compartments to keep everything safe and secure.
- INKAS Safes produces long gun safes, hand gun (small residential) safes & multi-use gun safes
Picking a safe type is a pretty straightforward process since you are guided by the number and type of weapons you own. However, gun safes have various sophisticated features for maximum security and convenience. Since these characteristics can be somehow confusing, we have them explained to you.
When it comes to choosing a lock, there are two options available. Each of them comes with pros and cons, so it is up to you to choose the right fit for your needs.
Dial Lock (group 2 or group 2L mechanical lock)
A dial lock safe can be opened only if you enter the code through the externally accessed dial. Also referred to as a combination lock, it is sturdy and cost-effective.
Dial lock pros
- No maintenance required
- Cheaper than an electronic lock
Dial lock cons
- Takes longer to open
- Doesn’t lock automatically upon closing the safe
An electronic lock relies on sophisticated technology to open the safe. While simpler versions have dials, sophisticated safes can be opened using a biometric system. This system requires a fingerprint, facial recognition, eye retina, ear shape, or other biometrics to open the safe.
- Note that there are not many UL certified biometric lock today, and these could increase safe cost
Electronic lock pros
- Fast and easy access to your weapons
- Automatically locks upon closing the door
- Lock themselves for set time after a few false attempts, extra protection from burglary attacks
Electronic lock cons
- Requires battery changing once in a few years
- Electronic locks are in general provide higher security and cost a bit more, make your safe approximately 5 – 100 dollars more expensive
The construction is crafted from steel with varying thicknesses. The thickness is measured in gauges. The higher the gauge number, the thinner the steel. The thicker the steel, the more difficult it is to penetrate. Make sure to choose a smaller gauge, with the ideal between 12-gauge to 6-gauge.
A quality, strong safe uses composite structure – such as metal with special concrete, combinations of steel and ceramic or more than 2 materials (which won’t be disclosed by the manufacturer for security reason). Composite structure make robber’s job much harder – for example if they have penetrated the metal layer, they have to change tool to match cement or whatever is used in the next layer.
Fires are a huge hazard because they can develop high temperatures which melt the metal. Fireproof safes come with additional layers which prevent heat from penetrating. Therefore, they will protect your weapon from scorching temperatures.
If you live in a high humidity area, the chances of rust forming on your gun are high. To prevent this, you will need dehumidifiers. The devices will absorb moisture and dry the air, leaving your weapons in pristine condition.
A water-resistant safe will keep your weapons dry in standing water. Every manufacturer will list specific details on their safe’s water protection ability.
Human error is one of the factors for safe failure. We already explained that a dial lock doesn’t secure automatically when you close it. To lock the safe, you need to spin the dial.
Another example of human error is failing to replace the batteries of an electronic lock. Also, keeping your code written down on a piece of paper near the safe is unsafe.
A faulty design can also question the effectiveness of a safe. Some locks are designed to keep the safe accessible for a few seconds after closing. Cheap electronic locks can fail at a certain point, leaving your weapons accessible. Therefore, shady brands and low prices don’t guarantee safety.
How to Ensure the Maximum Effectiveness of Your Gun Safe?
Firstly, be responsible and follow the steps indicated in your safe’s manual. Properly handling your safe will reduce the chances of human error and its impact on effectiveness. In addition, choosing a high-quality safe is crucial.
If you work with a limited budget for purchasing a safe, opt for dial locks. Avoid the cheap electronic locks which might not work correctly. Also, we would advise you to keep your safe hidden.
To further enhance safety, you should store the weapons unloaded. Also, make sure to keep the ammunition separately and locked.
Emerging Trends in Gun Safe Design and Technology
Staying Ahead with Modern Innovations
- Smart Safe Technology:
- Integration of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for remote monitoring and control.
- Mobile app connectivity for alerts and access logs.
- Biometric Locks:
- Advanced fingerprint scanners for quick, personalized access.
- Increased reliability and reduced false rejection rates.
- Enhanced Material Technology:
- Lighter, stronger materials for improved portability without compromising security.
- Better fireproof and waterproof ratings.
- Modular Interior Designs:
- Customizable interiors for flexible storage options.
- Adaptable for different types of firearms and accessories.
- Sustainable Practices:
- Eco-friendly materials and manufacturing processes.
Gun Safe Placement and Installation Best Practices
Optimizing Safety and Accessibility
- Choose a Concealed Yet Accessible Location:
- Avoid obvious spots like the master bedroom or garage.
- Consider a location that’s discreet but still easily accessible to you.
- Ensure a Solid Foundation:
- Place the safe on a concrete slab for maximum security.
- Avoid upper floors unless the structure can support the weight.
- Maintain Environmental Control:
- Keep away from areas prone to dampness or extreme temperature changes.
- Consider adding a dehumidifier inside the safe in humid regions.
- Anchor Your Safe:
- Bolt down the safe to prevent it from being moved or tipped over.
- Use appropriate anchoring hardware for the type of floor.
- Consult Professionals for Installation:
- Consider professional installation services for optimal security.
Now, you are aware of most of the aspects to take in consideration before purchasing a safe. This investment is an intelligent decision to keep your beloved ones safe. In addition, it will preserve valuable weapons from damage or theft.
- Before buying a safe, make sure to check it stands for US and Canada safety requirements and have the UL certification.
- It is always good to buy a safe with extra “space to grow” – for example, when we talk about gun safes you might take in consideration getting more guns, larger firearm or just more expensive gun. Do not go on the smallest or cheapest option since for the upgrade you will need to re-order a new safe.
Investing in a high-quality safe should be a high priority. INKAS offers gun safes ranging from level 1 to level 4 safety. Our products come with a one-year full and lifetime fire and burglary warranty. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!